The phrase “You have a cavity” used to strike fear into people’s hearts. It used to mean that you had a get a filling made of amalgam, or a mixture of several different metals, like silver and even trace amounts of mercury. These fillings not only stood out in your smile, but required that more of your healthy tooth structure be removed in order to place them. Nowadays, most dentists, including Dr. Cannon and Dr. Agha, use tooth-colored fillings in Sparta for natural-looking cavity repair. Keep reading to learn more about how tooth-colored fillings work and how they can benefit you.
Tooth-Colored Fillings – Sparta, NJ
Natural-Looking Cavity Repair
Why Choose Gentle Dentistry Sparta for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Soothing, Spa-Like Atmosphere and Amenities
- Award-Winning Restorative Dentist with 30 Years of Experience
- Completely Natural-Looking Results
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
While traditional fillings were made of several different metals, tooth-colored fillings are made from a composite resin material, which is a mixture of fine particles of glass and acrylic. This substance is incredibly malleable, almost like a putty. It’s applied to your tooth in layers until the whole thing is built up. It also bonds directly to the tooth, getting rid of the need to remove healthy tooth enamel to place your filling.
How Does the Procedure Work?
The tooth-colored fillings treatment is quite fast, and can often be completed in a single appointment. After determining the perfect shade of the filling material, either Dr. Cannon or Dr. Agha will apply a local anesthetic to the area, ensuring that you don’t feel a thing during your procedure. Next, we’ll clear out any decayed portions of the tooth. The composite resin is applied in layers until your cavity in Sparta is completely filled up. We’ll harden the filling with a curing light, which shouldn’t take long at all. The last step involved making any final adjustments necessary and making sure that the filling fits within your bite. Finally, the tooth is polished, and you are sent on your way to enjoy your fully restored smile!
What Are the Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
There are many reasons why we use tooth-colored fillings over their traditional amalgam counterparts, such as:
- Improved confidence. Composite resin fillings allow you to smile without anyone knowing you even had dental work done.
- Safer for teeth. Amalgam fillings tend to expand and contract when exposed to hot or cold stimuli. This can cause your enamel to weaken over time and even break. They also require that more enamel be removed to make room. Tooth-colored fillings bond directly to the teeth, and they don’t change size with different temperatures.
- Restored strength. Because tooth-colored fillings bond with the tooth, your tooth itself becomes stronger than it would with metal fillings.
- No tooth discoloration. Over the years, amalgam fillings leave a grayish tint behind on the tooth, while composite fillings allow your tooth to maintain its natural shade.
- Long-lasting. If you take proper care of your tooth-colored fillings with regular brushing, flossing, and checkups with us, they can last up to 15 years.
If you’re ready to repair your cavity while keeping the natural appearance of your teeth, contact us today to schedule an appointment!